Sunday, February 1, 2009

'There are two motives for reading a book: one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it'. Bertrand Russell


I have to commute on the bus to college, which is usually a twenty minute journey each way. I therefore decided

to put this time to good use, and am working my way through some fabulous books. Middlemarch was surprisingly good motivation for getting out of bed in the morning!


As I’m about half way through my time here I thought it would be good to give my (short) reviews on the reads so far. Looking at the BBC Big Read list, I have now read 25 out of the top 50 books (34 out of the top 100) and hope to increase this even more by the end of the year. I admit Joanne Harris and Dan Brown aren’t on that list, but some light relief has to be allowed. The story so far:


Angels and Demons, Dan Brown

Fast, exhilarating, easy read.


Gentleman and Players, Joanne Harris

Clever, beautiful, nostalgic, but also frightening. She paints great pictures of life in different environments, this time a snobbish boy’s grammar school.


The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini

Gruelling yet wonderful, it made me appreciate my life.


The Lollipop Shoes, Joanne Harris

Magic, chocolate, Paris, pretty shoes, romance…what more can I want from a novel? It’s the sequel to Chocolat so while I’m here I’ll make the point that, much as I love the film, the book of Chocolat is far superior (as always).


(Select short stories from) Jigs and Reels, Joanne Harris

Had it by my bedside but didn’t manage to finish them all before it was due back at the library, and no great desire to renew. Some fabulously quirky ideas, but not many of the stories were satisfying at the end (a common problem with short stories).


Middlemarch, George Elliot

Jane Austen’s plots with Emily Bronte’s passion. Funny and sometimes frustrating, but a joy to read, I loved the characters and highly recommend it. Don’t be put off by its size!


Watership Down, Richard Adams

Stick with it and you’ll end up living and breathing the life of those rabbits. I don’t often like it when stories/poems are inserted into novels, but the sections where the rabbits were telling their folklore were as enjoyable as the main plot. Lovely.


Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

I’ll let you know when I’ve finished it…

No comments: