Sunday, August 3, 2008

My Desert Island

Setting up house is an interesting business. Luckily for me, I moved into a furnished place so I didn’t need to buy a bed, desk etc. Some American students are on exchange here for one semester (three months) and are renting unfurnished apartments. Mad.

Having said that, I’ve still had to buy a lot to set myself up. My philosophy when I started was to think ‘desert island’. What is the very least I can get away with? Bedding was non-negotiable, but I managed to mess up that simple task. The first night I was so cold that I hardly slept, despite wearing a full length top, hoody with hood up, tights underneath my PJ bottoms and socks. What I neglected to think about was the fact that houses here have no heating, so it’s pretty much like sleeping outside. The next day I went and bought a big duvet. That night, still attired in my many garments but with an extra layer, I was warm.
Then came the kitchen. My landlord said I had to get my own stuff to save arguments. So, desert island; I need a knife, and a pan, and really a bowl and plate would be hygienic, as would cutlery, mug, storage containers…

So you see, it starts to accumulate. I was going to do my laundry tonight (we have a washing machine, and I bought washing powder) but realised I have nowhere to dry it. Tomorrow I will buy an airer.

I’m hopefully going to stay here the whole year though, so it’ll be worth it. My flatmates are all very friendly. Most have moved here from East Asia (I’ve already picked up some Chinese cooking tips) with a couple of Australians thrown in for good measure. Ha and right on cue the girl in the room next to mine just knocked on my door to give me a present. A handmade Chinese luck charm which is now hanging on my wardrobe.

No comments: